Sunday, August 28, 2011

Daily agenda/Assignment Board

I am on school related planning overload and the kids have not even shown up yet!  I had this past Friday off and spent the morning working on new signs for my assignment board.  I changed the colors of the signs to match my new color scheme and added several more categories.  I am so happy with how they turned out.  I spent the afternoon taking the boys to the Dr.  My middle has bad seasonal allergies, but it just seemed to be more than that.  Sure enough I found out he has a sinus infection.  Luckily we were also able to get the flu mist for all three boys while we were there.  That will save some running around later when we are busy with school.

After the appt we stopped at Micheal's and I got some of the new Martha Stewart paint for a project I will hopefully be working on this week.  The boys were so good while I looked around.  We ended up having an extremely late lunch at Sonic once we were done shopping.

Back to the point of this post!  I use my side chalkboard as my agenda/assignment board.  When students walk into the room they can immediately see what the warm-up is they need to begin, what the homework is we are correcting, what we are doing in class that day, as well as, what that day's assignment is.  I teach one accelerated math class (last year I had two and life was AWESOME!), and three regular math classes.  I also teach a class called Core Plus, which I will explain in another post.

I have been using my assignment board for years and the kids love knowing what it going on.  If a student was absent the previous day, s/he can look at the board to find out what homework was missed.

I print the sign on cardstock, laminate them, and then attach stick on magnetic tape to them so they are magnetized to the board.  I have a clear container (forgot to take a photo of it) that also sticks to the board and I keep all my extra signs and chalk in it.

I took photos today of the board, it is already filled out for the first day of school which is this Thurs.  Typically we have either a lesson (from the text), activity, or assessment every day.  I have expanded the activity category this year to get much more specific with special types of activities we are doing.

All ready to go for the first day of school!

My new signs.  I have them in teal for Math 1, and lime for Math 2, 5, 6 (those are the class hours).
I tried to think of all the different things we do in class other than a lesson and I came up with the following:  Problem Solving, Learning Stations, Literacy, and Technology.

I love my assignment board.  I am lucky to have two large chalkboards in my room.  I use the front board for our word wall and other things (we rarely use the front board as a chalkboard because I have a SMARTBoard.

Let me know if you have any questions about the agenda/assignment board.  It works great for middlc school where you teach more than one class.

I have been getting my craft on this weekend and will hopefully have some photos to share with you soon.  Also my room will be all set up tomorrow for Open House.  I have a post soon with photos of my classroom all decorated and ready for the kiddos!

1 comment:

  1. I have a SMARTboard too, and my blackboards have also found themselves repurposed. My side board has my timetable and agenda, and my front boards are used to post anchor charts. LOVE the SMARTboard!

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Feel free to email me at luvbcd@yahoo.com with any questions you have.