Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Decimal Operations Foldable

Tomorrow's lesson is on multiplying and dividing rational numbers.  What we find in 7th grade is that many students still struggle with decimal and fraction operations.  We just finished learning how to multiply and divide integers the other day.  Love the way Carnegie teaches integer operations.  That really deserves its own post someday.

Anyway, today was a half day and it was the perfect amount of time to correct homework and then finish a foldable they started last week (when we were doing addition and subtraction of rational numbers).  We also did a separate foldable on multiplying and dividing fractions and mixed numbers (again another post for another time).

The material we covered today is expected to be mastered when they come to my class, but with many students that is just not the case.  The foldable I used can be found here.  I would like to make the multiplication example a bit more challenging, but beggars cannot be choosers and this foldable was already made and good enough for me to use for the purpose intended.  Someday I will make some original foldables, but with a new curriculum implementation that is a very low priority at this moment.

Front of the foldable

Foldable inside

Addition example projected on SMARTBoard

Subtraction 

Multiplication

Division
I really like projecting what the students fill in on their foldable.  We go through each example step by step and it goes MUCH more quickly if they are able to follow along with the SMARTBoard.

5 comments:

  1. Can you send me the foldable?
    tbritt@iss.k12.nc.us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't send you the foldable because it's not downloadable, but you can click the link in my post and print it right from that website along with other foldables.

      Delete
  2. I don't see the link. Is it still on this page? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link is the word here in the the third paragraph. It is green so you know it's a link. HTH

      Delete
  3. This was great, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Feel free to email me at luvbcd@yahoo.com with any questions you have.