Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I survived two open houses in two days (classroom photos coming tomorrow)

Last night was my open house.  It was a whirlwind as always.  This year is strange in that my oldest is now a 7th grader at my school.  We have three houses :  white, red, and blue.  I teach in the blue house and he will be in the white house this year.  It is really strange to think of him infringing on my "school turf".  It will be interesting to say the least.

Open house went great and all the parents I met were very nice.  We have heard lots of negative things about our incoming 7th graders and I am trying to start the year with extra structure and positivity, to hopefully get everyone in our house off on the right foot.

I came home last night and feet and legs were aching.  Not used to standing for two hours straight, after being on my feet all day getting my room ready.

Today was our last inservice meeting prior to school starting Thursday.  We had a 3.5 hour meeting on the CCSS for math.  Our meeting was for grades 5-12 at the high school.  After that I went home to get my youngest two boys' school supplies together and organized for their open house that was tonight.  I picked up Chipotle for lunch and ended up eating it at school.  Chipotle is by far my favorite fast food restaurant.  I also treated myself to an unsweetened passion iced tea lemonade from Starbucks.

I have to say that I was completely burned out this afternoon from setting up my classroom for open house last night.  I have spent so many hours and days on it and I was just.done.with.it.today.  It didn't help that I woke up at 4 AM this morning and could not for the life of me fall back to sleep.  Despite being so tired, I could not sleep.  Thank goodness for TJ's chocolate covered espresso beans!

Tonight I went to open house for my middle and little.  They have an ice cream social with it and Cooper (little) kept asking me when we were going to the Ice Cream Social Study.  LOL Middle got the teacher he really wanted.  She is actually on maternity leave until December.  The good news is that her sub was a sub in my building sometimes last year and she was AWESOME.  She ended up doing a long term subbing in elem last Spring.  I am very happy to hear she is the sub and I know she will do a great job!

Needless to say the kids have not even started yet and I am freakin exhausted!  The carefree days of summer are nothing, but a distant memory at this point.  I did take some photos of my classroom and will take some more tomorrow.  I LOVE LOVE what I have done to my classroom.  I had lots of 8th graders come a visit me and they love the way it looks and our so jealous it was not that way for us last year.  Promise to do a post tomorrow with lots of photos, including my adorable no sew banner I made!  Time to head off to bed and get some sleep!

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos. I just started working on my classroom today ... I have a long way to go ...

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also looking forward to seeing your classroom pics!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Feel free to email me at luvbcd@yahoo.com with any questions you have.