Sunday, October 23, 2011

Lesson Planning

I still write out my lesson plans the good old fashioned way, in my lesson plan book.  I like to do this because it serves as a pacing record for me, from year to year.  Nothing in my lesson plan book is ever etched in stone.  I will spend an extra day reviewing if need be, or if students have mastered a concept and I planned a day of review I will skip that.  I always find it is better to have too much prepared, than not enough.  If you have an extra 5-10 minutes at the end of class where everyone is finished with homework, I like to use that time for an educational game or to wrap up the learning concept for the day.


My lesson plans for this week.  YAY for having Friday off!  Thursday is an inservice day full of meetings.  :(
Accelerated Math Plans

Close Up

Regular Math Lesson Plans

Close Up

This is just a quick peek into what my lesson plan book looks like and how I structure my math lessons.  I hope you are all having a nice weekend.  We have had a gorgeous fall weekend here in WI.  I spent yesterday watching three football games in the morning, had the best burger for lunch at a new local restaurant,  spent way too much money at Sam's Club as always, and then took a several hour nap.  The nap was pure bliss!  Last night I caught up on my DVRd episodes of Revenge after dinner.

Today I ended up skipping church so I could go into school and work in my classroom.  I did not accomplish everything I hoped to, but that always seems to be the case for me.  I am teaching One-step equations to my accelerated students this week and subtracting integers with my regular students.  We only have three days with students and then Thursday is a full day of teacher inservice.

4 comments:

  1. Jealous of your three day week. We've already had our PD day and Thanksgiving, so we're at full five-day weeks until Christmas ... sigh ...

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your "old school" plans :)

    I created myself a word template 2 years ago and I just plug the following week's info. into it.
    I might just blog about my template this week.

    Have a great week :)

    ❤ Mor ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherrie:

    Have you seen the "party" PowerPoint with positive and negative integers? I always try to teach my kids the concept on a number line, but this year they are going nowhere fast, so I might try the "party people." I'll try and find the link. Last year's students liked it!

    Have a great week. Your weekend sounded like pure BLISS to me!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay... After a bit of searching... It's an old Promethean flipchart... no longer accessible.

    Positive numbers are "good guys" and negative numbers are "bad guys." Who outnumbers whom and by how much... It's a visual way of showing the concept without explicitly teaching the rule...

    I'm sure you've got lots of even better stuff, but I remembered my kids clicked with the party idea--go figure!

    Happy day!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Feel free to email me at luvbcd@yahoo.com with any questions you have.